Saturday 29 August 2009

Roll, Baby, Roll



Delhi's on a roll, literally. It seems everyone from students at North Campus to corporate

honchos in Connaught Place are getting drawn to the lure of steaming hot veg/non veg 'rolls' during lunchtime. Students are increasingly turning to this new avatar of fast food to escape the monotony of their college lunch menu. "Most canteens in DU have the same chole bhature or rajma chawal combo on offer for lunch," said Ankush Kumar, from Ramjas College. "Out-station students like me have the same dinner menu at our PGs, too. So for us, rolls are a refreshing change," he added. Parakram Hazarika agrees. "Besides being boring, I find college food too heavy. A chicken roll, however, is filling and doesn't make you doze off during late afternoon tutorial sessions," he said. Accessible and delectable, the corporate world, too has given in to the temptation of the 'roll''. "There's a roll vendor right below my office building," said Rajneesh Mittal, an MNC employee at CP. "The vendor knows me and has my mutton roll prepared when lunch break begins. All I have to do is go down, pay the man and grab a mini bottle of coke with it. I'm done with my lunch even before I reach my 15th floor office by lift." Perhaps it's the quickness of such a meal that attracts the 'sociable but busy' types like Saloni Verma. "Lunch is often the only time I get to chill with my friends working in other stores," said this manager at a Noida mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment